Doors Open: Seaforth
Introduction
Site Submissions

Town Hall Town Hall
Location: 72 Main St S
Year built: c 1893

Built in 1893-94, its high front tower and gabled front elevation distinguish this civic building, now the hub for an amalgamated municipality. The front porch was removed in 1957 and a replica built in 1989. A collection of memorabilia and artifacts are displayed in the museum on the second floor. more...
Post Office
Location: 52 Main St S
Year built: 1913

The first pieces of mail arrived by stage at the new Seaforth Post Office on December 1, 1859. This three-storey red brick building with the central clock tower became the post office's permanent home in 1913. That same year, a dozen street letterboxes were erected around the town. more...
Post Office
Cardno Block Cardno Block
Location: 39 Main St S
Year built: 1877

Built in 1877 by Andrew Cardno, the 5-store Cardno Block sits in the centre of Seaforth's historic mainstreet. A four-faced clock adorns the central tower. On the second floor, the Cardno Music and Concert Hall was the site of theatrical and musical entertainment as well as dances. more...
Box Furniture
Location: 20 Main St S
Year built: 1877

The 2-storey block, for many years the home of Box Furniture, was built in 1877 by William M. Robertson. Dubbed "the finest warehouse in town," it was where Reid & Wilson conducted a hardware business under the "Sign of the Circular Saw." The building was beautifully restored in 1990. more...
Box Furniture
Lavoie House Lavoie House
Location: 116 Goderich St W
Year built: 1875

Built in 1875, the Lavoie house is a fine example of Queen Anne architecture. Numerous stained glass windows can be found throughout this home, including a portrait window of Canadian poet, William Henry Drummond, visible from the side street. The origins of the portrait window remain a mystery. more...
Maplewood Manor
Location: 13 Church St
Year built: 1867

This retirement residence is reminiscent of the school it once was. Originally built in 1867, it had a symmetrical "T" plan and was set on a fieldstone foundation with Flemish bond, buff brick walls. It closed as Seaforth Public School in 1953, then served as a warehouse before renovations. more...
Maplewood Manor
St. Thomas Anglican Church St. Thomas Anglican Church
Location: 5 John St
Year built: 1863

Built in 1863, this frame and clapboard-sided building with tower and spire is a fine example of Carpenter's Gothic architecture. The chancel was built in 1872 and wings were added in 1878 to provide more seating. St. Thomas Anglican Church remains one of the finest wooden churches in Ontario. It is also celebrating its 150th anniversary this year. more...
Public Library
Location: 108 Main St S
Year built: 1913

The Seaforth Library was built in 1913, funded by millionaire industrialist Andrew Carnegie. Carnegie's private secretary, James Bertram, who reviewed all grant applications, was married to Seaforth native Jane Ewing. Renovations were made in 1984, and again in 1995, modernizing the building and adding wheelchair accessibility. more...
Public Library
Lorne Villa Mansion Lorne Villa Mansion
Location: 90 Goderich St W
Year built: c 1886

A mansion in the "nameless vernacular style", the Lorne Villa has a two-storey semi-circular bay, two second-storey gable roofs with exposed woodwork, and a large verandah. It was built between 1886 and 1890. More recently, it was divided into apartments. It now houses the Canadian Mental Health Association. more...
Seaforth Manor
Location: 100 James St
Year built: 1883-4

D.D. Wilson, Seaforth's Egg King, had this house designed in 1883. It had 13 rooms, a huge basement, and attic rooms. The home was transformed into Scott Memorial Hospital in 1929. This hospital served the community until 1964 when it was again converted, this time to a nursing home. more...
Seaforth Manor
Kidd Block Kidd Block
Location: 15 Main St South
Year built: 1878

John Kidd's Hardware Depot replaced the store lost to fire in 1876. Built in the Italianate style, it has a bracketed cornice, round-arched windows with heavy metal hoods, and a slightly projected centre section with quatrefoil window. The label stops are in the form of a lion's head. more...
Nifty Korners
Location: 33 Main St South
Year built: 1863

This is the first brick store in Seaforth, built by James Dickson, M.P. The beautiful pattern of the decorative brickwork makes it stand out on Main Street. A unique feature is the angled front entrance. It was home to the Post Office from 1863 to 1869. more...
Nifty Korners
Dick House Dick House
Location: 117 Main St South
Year built: 1873

Familiarly known as The Dick House this brick hotel was built by John Bowden in 1873. J.H. McCallum opened for business later that year. By 1913 it was known as Hawkshaw House with Kling's Hotel doing business on site. James Dick was the last in the hotel business here. more...
Lawn Bowling Green
Location: 127 Main St South
Year built: 1929

Neatly dressed in whites or suited up, the men and women of the Seaforth Lawn Bowling Club have played the greens here since the late 1890s. The bowling green is built on former railway grounds. An elm saved from the axe and a lightning strike shades the cottage-style clubhouse. more...
Lawn Bowling Green
Northside United Church Northside United Church
Location: 54 Goderich St South
Year built: 1877

The Wesleyan Methodist congregation began in 1856 as a small group of people who met for worship at a lay preacher's home. They built a church across from Maitlandbank Cemetery in 1858. By 1877, this elegant brick structure with its many stained glass, Gothic windows, was built here. more...
Victoria Park
Location: Victoria St. off Gouinlock St
Year built: 1875

Dr. Gouinlock donated this parkland in 1875. The bandshell was built in 1924 with the same proportions and acoustics as the CNE bandshell in Toronto. Over the years, summer concerts, political speeches, and amateur entertainments have taken the stage. The War Memorial honors local men lost to war. more...
Victoria Park
Commercial Hotel Commercial Hotel
Location: 84 Main St South
Year built: 1895

The new Commercial Hotel opened its doors October 21, 1895. Only months before, the original brick building built by Thomas Knox in 1866, was lost to fire. In 1874, you could stay the night, breakfast and supper included, for $1; a farmer with two horses, hay and dinner, paid 35˘. more...
CIBC
Location: 44 Main St South
Year built: 1905

The CIBC building is a good example of the Classical Revival style of architecture. Large white stone quoins accentuate the corners. Four columns supporting the deep triangular pediment dominate the façade. Seaforth contractors built this impressive structure at a cost of about $10,000. more...
CIBC
Sills Home Hardware Sills Home Hardware
Location: 69 Main St South
Year built: 1869

The Sills family has been in the hardware business in Seaforth since the 1870s. The store building where Geo. A. Sills & Sons moved in 1922 was built by Thomas Kidd in 1869. The decorative hoods on the second-storey windows, made of moulded concrete, are a distinguishing feature. more...
Seaforth Golf & Country Club
Location: R.R. #5
Year built: 1856

This beautiful 18-hole course is built on what was once the Doig family farm bought from Van Egmond in 1847. The first golfers in 1961 played a 9-hole course with tin-can cups and broom-handle flagsticks. The course was run from the stone farmhouse built in 1856. more...
Seaforth Golf & Country Club
Scott House Scott House
Location: 51 Goderich St West
Year built: c. 1865

Dr. James G. Scott brought his medical practice to Seaforth in 1874. Four small rooms facing the street served as the waiting room, an exam room, the surgery, and an office. Dr. Scott's grandson, Harry, a retired principal of Seaforth District High School, is now the owner. more...
Vincent Farm Equipment
Location: 1 Kilometre North of Seaforth
Year built: 1923

Founded by Leslie C. Vincent in Ayr, Ontario in 1923, Vincent Farm Equipment is one of the oldest and largest Case International Harvester dealers with five locations in southwestern Ontario. "After We Sell We Service" is the motto that garnered them success over the years. more...
Vincent Farm Equipment
Home & Hearth Home & Hearth
Location: 86 Goderich St West
Year built: 1880

The Samuel Scarlett family bought this property in 1867 and owned it into the 1890s. In 1956, the home was purchased by a local doctor, Dr. Malkus. Barb and Ivan Wolfe now own and operate Home & Hearth, a Bed & Breakfast with a Victorian flavour. more...
Maitlandbank Cemetery
Location: Line 36 between Roxboro Line and North Line
Year built: 1874

Maitlandbank began as the cemetery of the Wesleyan Methodist Church. The first reported burial was that of Robert Hays, a brother of Thomas E. Hays, the original owner of the land. Tombstones with earlier dates mark graves transferred from the original cemetery across the road. more...
Maitlandbank Cemetery
St. James Roman Catholic Church St. James Roman Catholic Church
Location: 22 Victoria St
Year built: 1869

Early settlers of the Roman Catholic faith gathered for worship at St. Columban. The spacious and dignified St. James Church was built here, in Seaforth, in 1869. The front addition to the church was made in 1990. more...
St. James Roman Catholic Cemetery
Location: 43048 Hwy 8 between Kippen & Hensall Rds
Year built: 1893 (1874)

Members of the parish of St. James Roman Catholic Church were buried in the St. Columban cemetery until the St. James Cemetery was begun in 1893. The first to be interred here was John Duncan who died in 1893. Graves with tombstones bearing an earlier date were transferred here. more...
St. James Roman Catholic Cemetery