Village of Brussels Carnegie Library Newsletter
The renovation of the Brussels Library is well on its way to completion. The restoration has been accomplished with sympathetic attention to the look of the original Carnegie building and its heritage designation.
Accessible entrance and washrooms, new meeting and program space with a small kitchen and big bright stack space for books and other materials are all part of our new/old Carnegie Library.
As we look forward to the revitalization of this important community institution it seems like a good time to look back at some library moments in the past.
Did you know?
• The first library was a Mechanics’ Institute incorporated in 1874. It had 28 members and cost $1 to join.
• The Carnegie Library was officially opened on or about January 14, 1910.
• The first Municipal Library Boards were not established until the end of the 19th century.
• Brussels first librarian was Miss Ross, who served the Mechanics’ Institute reading room from 1874 to 1887.
• The first building was designed by Mr. Ireland of Stratford and the renovation was designed by John Rutledge a Brussels boy.
All tiers of government have indicated their support for the project with funding received from federal, provincial, county and municipal levels of government. The Brussels Library Fundraising Committee is now seeking support to complete the project. As a result, the community has established several levels of sponsorship, which will be appropriately acknowledged when the project is complete. Your contribution would be greatly appreciated. If you have already contributed thank you very much.
Bronze: $0-$499, Silver: $500-$999, Gold: $1000-$$4999, Platinum: $5000-$9999, Diamond: $10,000+
Donations can be mailed or delivered to the Municipality of Huron East, P.O. Box 610 – 72 Main St. S., Seaforth ON N0K 1W0. A charitable receipt will be issued from the municipality. For further information please contact Huron East CAO Brad Knight or Brussels Ward councillor David Blaney. Brad Knight- 1-519-527-0160 firstname.lastname@example.org .. David Blaney – 519-887-2664 – email@example.com .