“Is coming to Historic Seaforth. Welcome to our community!”
Join us for a fun filled day, featuring tours of some our heritage sites, demonstrations at a number of the venues, live entertainment, music, historic actors in our downtown & lots of food vendors. Some stores will be open. Be sure to pick up a copy of Saturday’s London Free Press which will include an eight page insert with the details. Most activities will begin around 10:00 am.
There is also a chance to win $500.00 in Seaforth $mart Money. Visit one of four Information Centres located throughout the community to obtain the scoop on how to win. (See below for information centres)
- Van Egmond House,
- Seaforth Golf Course
- Town Hall
- Downtown Tourist Centre (beside the CIBC)
Watch for volunteers wearing the “Catch the Seaforth Spirit” button. They will be able to direct you to the information centres.
For a sneak peek of the some of the day’s activities scroll down.
Van Egmond House
Tour this beautiful 19th century homestead and its grounds, and hear the stories of its amazing past. Live entertainment, demonstrations and tours on-going during the day starting at 10:00 am. Accessible washrooms, good parking & food available on site.
Seaforth Golf Course
Celebrating its 54th year, the Seaforth Golf Course is one of the most mature & challenging courses in the region. A golf clinic & putting contest will be held at the driving range a short walk from the parking lot & clubhouse. Everyone is welcome. A people mover will be available for anyone who needs assistance. For those who are need some refreshments, a buffet will be featured on the second floor of the clubhouse and the BBQ will be fired up on the patio. The Pro Shop will be open. Washrooms and good parking available on site.
Seaforth Town Hall
Built in 1893-94, this building currently houses the offices for the Municipality of Huron East, one of nine communities making up the County of Huron. A key feature is the central tower projected out from the main part of the building. The round arch is echoed in the windows and window hoods, the original doorway opening to the fire hall, and in louvered windows at the top of the tower. Subtle detail was added to the red brick walls in the raised banding and decorative panels. The building originally housed the fire hall on the main floor, town offices on the second floor, and an auditorium with stage on the third. Tours will be available of the second & third floors. Accessible washrooms, front & rear parking available at this site.
Freemasonry is the oldest, largest and one of the best known fraternal organizations in the world. Contrary to some views, a Masonic Lodge is not a secret society, a religion, or a service club but rather a private group, as opposed to a public association. Based on three fundamental principles—brotherly love, charity and truth—Masonic Lodge membership imbues men with a pattern for living that includes morality, kindness, dependability and respect for individual beliefs.
Seaforth’s Masonic Lodge was founded by five local men in 1865, and held its inaugural meeting on March 3 that year, with 37 members and 25 guests in attendance.
Following its early years, Britannia Lodge No. 170 found a more permanent home in 1875, initially under a 20 year lease, in this building constructed by Moses R. Counter, a Lodge member with his business in the storefront below.
In 1950—75 years later—the Lodge agreed to purchase the entire building for $9,200 with a $500 down payment, available funds on hand and a mortgage.
A cornerstone of the fraternity is helping others, whether through the Masonic Foundation, volunteering, or their MasoniCh.I.P. child identification programme. Masons are not simply in a community—they are community. Tours of the lodge will be conducted by some of its members. Accessible by stairs only. A slide show and static picture display will be available for viewing on the main level for those who have difficulty climbing the stairs. Washroom available.
This is a must see!
Located at 84 Main Street South, the Commercial Hotel, constructed in 1895 replaces the original brick one destroyed by fire earlier that same year. The architecture of the three-storey structure, designated in 1983 under Part 5 of the Heritage Act, is simple and robust featuring horizontal detail linking the window arches and sills of each level, with pilasters delineating four sections vertically across the facade. Today, this heritage building is being re-purposed to accommodate 16 executive suites all unique in their own design. Model suites will be open for viewing from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
Imagine living in style in the heart of Historic Seaforth. It’s original!